Rob Landry: Inside the Life of a Biscuit Boy

 

(Photo Courtesy Nicholas Faulker/GettyImages) 


By JEREMIAH ARTACHO


Chapel Hill, N.C. — Rob Landry, a 6-foot-4 and 190-pound senior walk-on from Greensboro, North Carolina starred as part of UNC's "Biscuit Boys." Attracting many fans who sit in the bleachers of the Dean Dome cheering on their teammates from the end of the bench. Landry began his time on the junior varsity team and eventually tried out to be a part of UNC's roster. He ultimately made it but the journey was not easy by any means. During a time when the whole world experienced an epidemic, it was hard for everyone to go out and do as they pleased. 

Landry's relationship with the other Biscuit Boys, Creighton Lebo, and Duwe Farris traces miles beyond the hardwood, "We're super tight," he said. It helps to have friends in similar situations that go through the same stuff on the team. Knowing that we won't necessarily be the ones getting the playing time but at the same time we do get to be a part of the team and contribute in ways unseen to most people." He expresses that his connection with Lebo and Farris is more than just basketball, they're really good friends.

"Beyond basketball, we're just really good friends, off the court. I live with Duwe, super tight with him. Spend a lot of time with Creighton too. It's been a really fun three years for me with them. I spend so much time with them that I know so much about them," Landry added. 

Furthermore, Landry credits his faith in God during his journey of playing basketball.

“My faith runs in my life, where I wanna be just fully submitted to God and everything. So that I can have peace knowing that what I’m doing is what He wants me to be doing. Definitely impacts every relationship that I have, some of my best friends that I have made in life and have been through church and through common experiences with the Lord.”

The walk-on tells the story of his upbringing in a Christian household that still holds true today, “I grew up in a Christian family and was taught everything about God. I went to a Christian school from first to eighth grade," he says. "I learned all of the facts, I knew all of the verses in the Bible, if there was a trivia question about God I probably would have gotten it. But I didn’t get to really know God personally until sophomore year of college.”

Landry's faith in God has ultimately helped him stay on course as he shared with me a very unique story of how what led to him playing on UNC's basketball team. 

“I went there (School of Science and Math) and applied to a bunch of schools and almost every door was shut at my face at the last second. I was getting recruited for basketball at MIT, Johns Hopkins, Washington and Lee. I applied to UVa, UNC, and was in both of their scholarship processes. I got to the semi-final round in the Morehead, final round for the Jefferson at UVa, final round for the Johnson scholarship at Washington and Lee, didn’t get any of those. I didn’t get into MIT, Johns Hopkins, so I literally told my dad on a phone call my senior year of high school and was like, ‘The only possible reason I can all of these things being shut in my face is that God wants to put me on the basketball team at UNC.’” 

The graduating senior's call with his dad not only proved that he was meant to wear a Carolina uniform but also showed what God's purpose had been for him all along.

“Hilarious for me to look back on and say," Landry stated. "I realized that during my sophomore year when it looked like my basketball career was over, even if I never played a game of basketball again God will have fulfilled His purpose for me in college by putting me in community and setting me up for just getting to know Him, sophomore year. Which is really freaking cool.” 

In terms of on the court, Landry's faith transitions extremely well as he doesn't miss a beat in keeping his trust in God. “That’s crucial, as a walk-on you’re constantly the worst out there. Obviously, you have good plays, you have good days. You fulfill your role well. If I placed my worth and identity in basketball then I would constantly be upset, I would constantly be worried, and have a bad self-view.” 

It's evident that his faith has kept him steady throughout his life both on and off the basketball court. This makes sense when you consider the way Landry carries himself as a person not only on the court but off of it, too. He states that it he would be comparing himself to the top talent in all of college. 

“I would be comparing myself to some of the best athletes in the nation," he said. "When I know that my identity’s place is a Child of God and I’m loved apart from basketball then it provides me a lot of joy and peace to go out, compete, and give it my all. Be the best that I can be but know at the end of the day my worth is not placed into how many points I score, how many minutes I get in the game, any of those things that it very well could be tied to if I wasn’t a believer.” 

For further background information, Landry started his basketball days at the age of four years old playing at his local YMCA league where his dad coached for eight years of his life. In addition, acknowledging that he looked up to him as a mentor and hero. 

“I started playing when I was four at the YMCA league, Landry said. "My dad was my coach for eight years of my life which is really cool, he played here at UNC. I looked up to him as a mentor and hero. Having him as a coach was really fun, had just a bunch of good friends that I played with for a long time. Created our own AAU team in third grade and we’re just a whole bunch of fundamental white shooters that ended up winning a lot more games than we should have."

However, basketball was not always the one sport that Landry played as he experienced a variety of athletics growing up — from soccer, baseball and golf. 

“I would guess basketball, little kid soccer might have been first because that’s a little easier to play as a three-year old than basketball," Landry said. "I think basketball tied with baseball was the first sport that I took seriously. I ended up getting burned out of baseball in eight grade. I just spent too much on the field from third to sixth grade playing travel ball. I didn’t have much fun doing it. I played high school golf too.”

Landry's love for basketball always stuck, eventually turning into a career at the same university his family has been sporting his whole life — the same college his dad attended. 

It's special for his family. 

Although there was a time when playing the sport was in question, leading to decisions that were seemingly crucial in life — fortunately, Landry's choice worked out just fine. He had to choose whether or not to stay at Greensboro Day or transfer off to somewhere else. The decision was made in the best interest of his basketball-self. 

“Definitely, in a lot of ways it has never been something that I had to do because I made a decision 10th grade where if I wanted to pursue and be my best basketball-self then I needed to stay at Greensboro Day school," he said. "As opposed to transferring to Science and Math because Science and Math’s basketball program wasn’t very good. Greensboro Day’s was phenomenal."

It's safe to say that continuing basketball was a great decision for Landry, reaching a national championship that featured lasting memories — something he can share with everyone, forever. Fortunately, his support system has been helpful and stuck with him throughout the entire process. Landry's dad played a major role with a similar experience. 

“It’s been really good, having a dad who was a walk-on himself and know the pressures, the pain-points, the disappointing things that come with being a walk-on," Landry stated. "It’s really cool to confide in him and hear his perspectives, hear his stories. Definitely really good friends that have been there for me throughout the whole process. Having other walk-ons on the team has also been a key part of the support system. Coaches can definitely be encouraging too, so that always helps.”

Away from the Dean Dome, Landry told me about his favorite off-the-court moment. The team's travel to Forth Worth, Texas for the 2022 NCAA Tournament led them to an unexpected interview. 

“When we were traveling to Fort Worth, Texas for the NCAA Tournament we ended up getting cowboy hats because we’re in Texas," he said. "Ended up wearing the cowboy hats around and we were stopped by news reporters who did not know we were on the team, the Biscuit Boys and I."

Landry also adds, “They ended up interviewing us! We got put on the Fort Worth news station. Afterwards, we’re like ‘Y’all know we’re on the team right?” 

On the contrary, his favorite on-the-court moment inside the Dean Dome was a toss-up between senior night or defeating Coach K in his last game at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Both are special memories individually and as a whole team for Landry. 

“There’s probably two of them," Landry said. "On senior night, I think was up there. Getting to sit down on the bench, waiting for the starting lineups to be called. That was so crazy.”

Besides senior night, Landry mentioned the historic win against Duke during Coach K's final game at Cameron Indoor Stadium. 

"Tied for number one, is beating Coach K in Cameron my first-year on the team, Landry added." Honestly from a player's perspective, that game was so much better than Final Four because we got to go celebrate after, enjoy the moment and know it was a huge upset that nobody saw coming." 

To conclude his statement, "It was the start of something that was going to be really special." 

It turned out to be exactly that as the Tar Heels made it to the national championship back in 2022 — defeating Marquette, Baylor, UCLA, Saint Peters and Duke to get there. 

In terms of the dramatic win during Coach K's final home game in Cameron Indoor Stadium, Landry described the intense environment — specifically the final minutes of the second half. 

"It was absolutely rocking, up until the five-minute mark" he said. "At the five-minute mark, you start looking around at the crowd and it got a lot quieter. You see a lot of tears on some faces, really upset."

As many have seen on TV the students of Duke visibly sad, watched an outcome that was never to be expected by anyone but UNC itself. The Tar Heels were a part of history that night and to make matters even better — they did it in front of a packed-out Blue Devil alumni section. 

However, despite how loud and hectic games are in Cameron, the Biscuit Boy talked about how the matchup against Saint Peters was even louder. 

Hard to imagine? It shouldn't be, they were the Cinderella team. 

"There's not a louder gym that I've been a part of," Landry said. "Not Cameron, not anything except for Saint Peter's in the first five minutes of the game." 

At the time, it seemed the United States was rooting against the guys in Carolina blue but they handled business and advanced to the Final Four, matching up with Duke for a third time that season. 

Although the final outcome was close to being history for the Tar Heels, Landry still looks back and finds joy. 

"It was a fun run," Landry said. 

The Greensboro native's last home game in the Dean Smith Center finished epically. Armando Bacot, RJ Davis, Cormac Ryan, Paxson Wojick alongside fellow Biscuit Boys in Farris and Lebo all celebrated on senior night. North Carolina won by a large margin of 33 points, 84-51. 

Landry in great detail talked about his final home game, describing his thoughts heading into the contest. 

"I think generally senior night is supposed to be sad because you're playing your last game," Landry said. "For me, the whole experience was so different than any game I've played in my three years. I knew I was getting to start." 

The 6'4 guard was not bothered by anything else and stayed present, soaking in every bit. 

"The senior night presentation and ceremony, I didn't really stop and think all that much about what that moment actually meant," Landry said. "I knew that in 10 minutes I had to be fully locked in and making sure I was doing my job and not worried about all the emotions that typically come from senior night." 

Simply, Landry finished his statement in style. 

"One of the coolest experiences I've ever had," he added. 

Landry was able to experience the beginning of Hubert Davis' head coaching career and he had nothing but positive things to say about him. 

"He just loves us as people," he said. "He cares a lot about us individually."

Coach Davis talks a good bit about the open-door policy he has with his team — his way of connecting with them as people, not basketball players at that moment. 

"People that I've heard from other schools that are transferring in or transferring out, they don't have that opportunity," Landry added. "There is no open-door policy with the head coach." 

When asked about what he would miss the most about Chapel Hill, Landry did not have much to say in response. 

"I have no idea," Landry said. 

However, if he had to give one final message to the University of North Carolina it would've been heartwarming. 

"Thanks for the opportunity, you made a kid's dream come true," he added. 

Now that his playing days have concluded, you may find Landry in his new profession, all the way in the Big Apple. 

"I'm heading up to New York to do investment banking," Landry said.

Or perhaps, at Bojangles eating his go-to meal. 

"Cajun Filet, biscuit combo, fries and Cheerwine if they have it," he added.

If he's nowhere to be found in those areas then playing what he likes to call "lodgeball" with the rest of his fraternity guys — instead of UNC's Woollen Gym. Landry had an interesting story to tell.

"The typical fraternity house and we just called it the "lodge" and then we just threw lodge in front of ball," Landry said. "To signify as not playing at Woollen, the better court, it's indoor. And people would be like, 'Wanna play there?'" 

Nevertheless, Landry always stuck with lodgeball.

"No, let's not play there," he added. "Let's play at the lodge." 

He does not use Snapchat but does have Instagram so if you have not already, give him a follow. 

"I don't have Snapchat, so Instagram," Landry said. 

There were so many moments in Landry's career such as being able to experience playing basketball at the same school as his dad, defeating Coach K in his last home game at Cameron Indoor Stadium, a trip to the national championship and starting on senior night. His faith in God, support from his family and friends on top of the motivation to keep on getting better gave him those results. 

This was Landry's life, as a Biscuit Boy.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNC Basketball: A Rematch of the 2016 National Title Game

UNC Basketball Preview: Jumpman Invitational