Harrison Ingram: He's Kind of like a Light Switch

(Photo Courtesy Peyton Williams/GettyImages)

By JEREMIAH ARTACHO

Chapel Hill, N.C. --- Harrison Ingram, a transfer from Stanford who spent his first two years of college basketball on the west coast, has been an extremely vital piece to UNC's success this season. Although he is undersized and plays the four position next to Armando Bacot in the front court, he provides all of the necessary skills to make an impact in more ways than one. 

During his pre-Duke press conference, Ingram was asked numerous questions, whether it was about his life on the court or off the court.

Ingram's personality is unique, as away from the hardwood, he enjoys the fun of playing chess in-person or online. 

"My hobbies, like chess or whatever, the stuff he does, him going to his kid's games, and just anything really about life," when asked about his individual conversations with head coach Hubert Davis. 

"It is a hobby since I was like seven," followed by "pretty good," when asked if he's any good at the intricate board game. Funny enough, Ingram adds, "James Okonkwo plays sometimes... I'm the winner every time," when asked if anyone else on the roster battles it on the chess board with him. 

Chess has been a hobby for the versatile forward, as he holds a very high rating on a common website known as "chess.com." The ratings are a presentation of a person's performance; as expected, the higher your rating, the better someone may be. "On blitz, it's 1200," he says. 

If you are wondering if he plays with an edge and a chippy persona like he does on the court, then you are absolutely correct. "I am, same exact way. On the phone, it's a little different, but if it's in person, like if I'm losing, I get a little mad, and you know might hit the pieces or something like that." 

A lighthearted but yet wholesome person who seems like an absolute monster when out on the basketball court, fighting it out while wearing the words "North Carolina" across his chest. 

"Really, for me, anything that involves a competition. I don't like to lose and had an older brother growing up, and he wasn't the nicest guy to me. He was always bullying me, so I kind of feel like I developed that chippy attitude from the way I grew up."

Later tonight, Ingram will have to flip that switch and turn his 1200 rating into the gritty, fearless competitor we have all known him to be. During the first time out against Duke last month on February 3rd in the Dean Dome, Ingram notched a double-double with 21 points and 13 rebounds. 

Now, he will be able to experience the other half of the rivalry. Playing at Cameron Indoor Stadium swarmed by all of the Duke fans in attendance. 

It's an important game, not just because it's UNC vs. Duke, but because of the chance to be the outright ACC regular-season champions. 

It's now or never for the Tar Heels, but one thing is for sure: Harrison Ingram will give it his all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rob Landry: Inside the Life of a Biscuit Boy

UNC Basketball: A Rematch of the 2016 National Title Game

UNC Basketball Preview: Jumpman Invitational