ICYMI Let's Read: Quotes Following Duke
(Photo Courtesy Grant Halverson/GettyImages)
By JEREMIAH ARTACHO
Durham, N.C. --- This past Saturday's eventful contest consisted of water and many other items thrown by Duke students towards the Tar Heels following their road win over at Cameron Indoor Stadium. We will take an inside look about what Coach Davis, Cormac Ryan, and Armando Bacot had to say about the outright ACC regular-season champion clincher.
Hubert Davis
"To be able to make shots but even just as important his experience. Having a guy that's been at this stage even though it's from another school, he's played here; he's been on this stage. He understands what it takes, in order to make plays to even have a chance to win in this type of game against this type of team. He did step up, knocking down threes, but defensively, his presence, his poise, his leadership in the huddles. During halftime before the game, it's just mean so much to this team and this program," Coach Davis said about Cormac Ryan's 31-point performance.
"Was the experience and maturity a big part of what you saw early while you guys got out to that early lead?"
"I don't know if it was experience; I think we were locked in. I mean, we got off to a really good start. I thought we were tired in defensively. Obviously, we were making shots, but I really liked our pace; the way that we transitioned from defense to offense was at an elite level."
"Hubert, your guys said they didn't want to share the title (ACC Regular-Season Champions); what was the feeling like to be able to clinch it in this fashion and to head into the locker room and celebrate?"
"I don't know what word to be able to explain the joy of having a front-row seat to see these kids experience this and be successful. It's 100% why I do this job. I've said before my job is missionary work, and where I'm just in a position to serve and to help these kids be the best that they can be on the court, off the court, and in the classroom. Being able to see their smiles of them being able to be successful out there on the floor and on this type of stage, it brings so much joy to my heart. They have worked so hard, I mentioned to somebody that I said from the start that his team has had a burning desire to be a team. They just do everything together."
Cormac Ryan
"Cormac, they (the team) said you were psychotic with your performance today. Why was that word being used so much for what you did out here in Cameron?"
"I just love to compete; I love to play hard. I'm a little wild at times, and it's all love from my guys, and I'm just so proud that we were able to come in here. We knew what it meant; we knew what was at stake, and to walk out of this building with the W is always nice."
"Why was it so important for you maybe to have that emotional demonstrative edge out here tonight?"
"That's just who I am, man. I can't control it. I love playing in these environments; I love being in front of the fire. I know these guys love it too, and that's what makes us such a connected group: we just share in that and we love to compete, and it's just nothing better than playing alongside your best friends."
"Do you have a sense for being here for just eight months? Just how this rivalry people are remembered for how they perform in this game and what your 31 points are going to mean historically?"
"Man, honestly, I want to be remembered for 17-3 in the league. I want to be remembered for taking not just a share but the whole thing of the regular-season title. Especially after a year that a lot of people doubted Carolina last year, a lot of people wrote them off. We knew how special this group was and that's really what I want to be remembered about this night: that we're walking out of here with the W. And we're walking out of here with the whole damn regular season title."
Armando Bacot
"When have you seen Cormac that hot?"
"Coming in here and what I was telling guys all week really. I remember watching him at Notre Dame coming in here (Cameron Indoor Stadium) scoring 28 or something like that and gettting a W. I said it few times already, but I mean, you got a guy like that's so psycho and has no conscious; I mean, it's going to come a time when he just bursts out and had those type of games, and just so happy for him."
"That's two in a row at the end of the year with him (Coach K) in the building."
"Yeah," as Bacot laughs and smiles to the question asked.
"You said the ACC goes through you; talk about that."
"Yeah, I mean, we got the regular-season championship. We win the tournament, then I'll talk a little more."

Comments
Post a Comment
What are your thoughts?
Let me know!